Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Vintage Craft Book Feature: BH&G Treasures From Throwaways (USA 1976)


Another of my many needlework hobbies is the collection of vintage craft books.  Found in dusty corners of second hand shops, in pride of place in used book stores, these old tomes often contain beautiful nuggets of crafting wisdom, and a heaping helping of vintage charm.  Reviving the techniques, tips and retro projects is just one more way for us to bring back the wonders of the handmade.

Better Homes and Gardens:  Treasures from Throwaways - USA, 1976


As per usual (and rather appropriately given it's theme) I found this book in a second hand shop.  The clutter on the cover doesn't really give a clear picture of what treasures (or throwaways) lie within, but that becomes apparent very quickly upon opening it.







I actually feel a little disappointed with myself for never before thinking to make wall cubbies out of old cans.  In fact, a lot of the projects in this book are like that.  They feel so obvious once I see a picture of them, but are actually nothing I would really have thought of.  For that reason alone I think this book is worth the 1$ I paid for it.  It gives me all kinds of ideas and new ways to look at everyday objects.

This is first and foremost a project book.  Each is laid out with a list of materials and detailed instructions on how to make it.  Some are fairly simple, others take more time and effort.  The techniques used vary from basic carpentry to upholstery, sewing, paper making and more. The instructions are usually pretty good, and this would be a handy reference for several techniques.  The only downside is if you are looking for a how to on a specific technique, you have to find the project that uses it.  The book is separated into chapters based on the materials used.

I especially like the advice to invite
some friends over for a party if you're
too impatient to gather the needed
 number of empty cans slowly.
"No, I totally cleaned my room, it's just the
quilt you see on the floor, I swear!"



This beer can end table is listed in the same chapter as the can cubby above.  In the fabric section you can find such gems as this crazy quilt made from a child's worn out clothes.  There are a lot of projects, it was hard to pick just these to show.  All in all this is a fun book to look through at the very least.  It's great for ideas if you're the DIY sort, and has some great instructions, though the organization may be lacking.  If you come across it in a thrift store, I recommend giving it a try.


My personal favorite:  The chess set made from old CRT tv tubes.


No comments:

Post a Comment