Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Knitting Tricks: Knitting two Pieces Together

I am an avid and primarily self taught knitter. I learned most of the techniques I know by trial and error as I worked a pattern that was probably too advanced for me at the time. Collecting these tricks and techniques into one place is hopefully as helpful to others as it is to me.

Knitting two pieces together is very similar to the three needle bind off method, except you don't bind off.  It is a way of joining two knit pieces together, and then continuing to knit one piece from there.  

I first encountered it as a way to add layered ruffles to gauntlets, and I use it frequently in my own designs to make seamless hems and other features.  It is incredibly useful for joining parts of garments without binding off or seaming. It does only work if the two pieces have the same number of stitches, however.

Insert the right hand needle into one stitch from each left hand needle, as if to knit.  Just like you would if you were working two stitches from the same needle, knit the two stitches together and pull them off the left hand needles.


Continue working stitches this way; knitting one from each left hand needle together.  Once the row is finished, your two pieces of knitting will be joined, and you will have live stitches on your right hand needle ready to continue. 




No comments:

Post a Comment